- SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS AND PERFORMANCE TIPS
- DEHANCER INSTALLATION AND FIRST LAUNCH 2.1. Check compatibility 2.2. Download Dehancer 2.3. Make sure that DaVinci is not running 2.4. Installation Packages for Intel and M1 2.5. Plugin Installation 2.6. First launch and Profiles Download
- DEHANCER PLUGIN AND PROFILES UPDATE 3.1 Plugin Update 3.2 Profiles Update 3.3 Plugin Updates VS project compatibility
- LIMITATIONS OF THE ‘FREE’ VERSION
- LICENSE FEATURES AND COMPATIBILITY 5.1. Why should I buy a License? 5.2. What are the Seats? 5.3. License compatibility between different products 5.4. License compatibility between different OS 5.5. License compatibility between different host applications 5.6. Is it possible to Upgrade the License?
- HOW TO BUY AND ACTIVATE THE LICENSE?
- LICENSE UPGRADE
- PAYMENT ISSUES 8.1. If your payment didn’t succeed 8.2. PayPal notes 8.3. How to get the Invoice?
- TECHNICAL ISSUES
- CAMERA PROFILES
- PRINT FILM EMULATION (e.i. Kodak 2383)
- WHAT IS PUSH/PULL AND HOW IT WORKS?
- HOW DOES THE ‘EXPAND’ WORK?
- MORE DELICATE GRAIN
- GATE WEAVE AND IMAGE SHARPNESS. AUTO ZOOM.
- WHY DO SOME BLACK AND WHITE PROFILES CAN HAVE COLOR HUE?
- TRANSPARENCY (CLIP ALPHA) AND NODE MASKS
- HOW TO UNINSTALL DEHANCER?
- PREVIOUS VERSIONS OF DEHANCER PLUGIN DISTRIBUTIVES
- FINAL CUT PRO FUTURE PLANS
- DEHANCER DESKTOP APPLICATION
1.SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS AND PERFORMANCE TIPS
2. DEHANCER INSTALLATION AND FIRST LAUNCH
2.1 Check compatibility
Make sure you have a compatible Mac released from middle 2012 with MacOS Mojave or later installed and updated. See pt. 1 and 2.
2.2 Download Dehancer
2.3 Make sure that DaVinci is not running
Please, keep DaVinci closed until installation is complete.
2.4 Installation Packages for Intel and M1
Unzip the downloaded zip-archive. There are two separate distributives for Intel and for M1 provided with the installation package. Choose the right one.
2.5 Plugin Installation
Run the Intel or M1 installation file (double-click the corresponding *.app file). Follow the installer instructions and enter you system password if needed (it is absolutely safe).
2.6 First launch and Profiles Download
- Start DaVinci Resolve after the installation is complete.
- Go to DaVinci settings and make sure Metal option is available and switched on.
- Find ‘Dehancer’ at the bottom of the ‘OpenFX / Film Emulation’ section.
- Drag ‘Dehancer’ as a separate node to your clip.
- Click ‘Download profiles’ button in the plugin. Wait until the update is complete, then click ‘Ok’ button in the downloader window.
3. DEHANCER PLUGIN AND PROFILES UPDATE
We update the plugin regularly, adding new features, fixing bugs and improving performance. We also add new film and camera profiles. Keep Dehancer up-to-date to get the most out of it.
3.1. Plugin Update
Please, check the actual product version at the main page of dehancer.com website. If the new version is out, download and install it manually (see pt. 2).
3.2. Profiles Update
To update Film and Camera Profiles, please use the ‘Check Update’ button within the plugin interface.
Please note that the Profiles Update doesn’t update the plugin itself. If the new Dehancer version is out, download and install it manually.
3.3. Plugin Updates VS project compatibility
Generally, with minor updates, Dehancer settings in existing projects are not affected, but this depends on many factors, including DaVinci version, operating system and the entire processing chain.
If the upcoming Dehancer update does not technically allow to maintain settings compatibility, new version will be automatically installed as a separate, independent plugin. Different versions of Dehancer residing on the same computer do not need to be activated separately.
However, we recommend that you avoid updating both the plugin itself and DaVinci Resolve until you are finished working on the important projects.
4. LIMITATIONS OF THE ‘FREE’ VERSION
You can download, install and run any Dehancer product for free.
The plugin is fully functional, including all tools, all profiles and future updates.
The only limitation when working without a License Key is the watermark logo, superimposed over the image preview and rendered clip.
To remove the watermark once and for all, please buy and activate the License.
5. LICENSE FEATURES AND COMPATIBILITY
5.1. Why should I buy a License?
Product Activation removes watermark logo forever (except for the Promo License limited to 2-weeks). You need a valid License to activate Dehancer.
5.2. What are the Seats?
Each License includes two Activation Keys for two seats (workstations) that can be activated and deactivated independently.
5.3. License compatibility between different products
Each product has its own License. For example, Dehancer Grain plugin can be activated only with the proprietary Activation Key. The Key for Dehancer Pro will not work (although the Grain tool is included in Dehancer Pro).
5.4. License compatibility between different OS
Each Activation Key can be used independently on any operating system for which this Dehancer product exists.
For example, if you already own a macOS license, you can use it when the Windows or Linux version becomes available.
5.5.License compatibility between different host applications
Each Key is suitable only for the certain host application.
For example, if you already own a Dehancer plugin for DaVinci, you can’t use this License for upcoming Final Cut Pro Dehancer plugin activation.
5.6. Is it possible to Upgrade the License?
Yes, you can upgrade any valid License to any more expensive one, within the same host application, whenever you like.
More information is available in the LICENSE UPGRADE section.
6. HOW TO BUY AND ACTIVATE THE LICENSE?
To remove the watermark logo you need to purchase a License and activate the plugin with the supplied Activation Key.
Each product has its own License. For example, Dehancer Grain can be activated only with the License intended for this product – the License from Dehancer Pro will not work, although the Grain tool is part of Dehancer Pro.
- Please visit the Downloads & Buy section of dehancer.com website. Choose the right product, then hit the ‘Add to Cart’ button.
- Review the Checkout page and change the quantity if needed. Note that we provide several ‘seats’ with each License.
- Input the Promo Code if you have one and proceed to the payment.
- After your payment is accepted, you will receive an email with Activation Keys (one for each seat). Also, you will find the new License appeared in the License Management section of User Profile.
- To activate Dehancer press ‘License Info’ in the plugin and enter the Email and the Activation Key from the letter you’ve received after purchasing.
Hit ‘Activate plugin’ button – and that's it.
7. LICENSE UPGRADE
You can upgrade any valid License to a more expensive one, whenever you like. You only pay the difference between the price of your License and the price of the License you are upgrading to, based on prices at the date of the upgrade.
To upgrade your Dehancer product:
- Deactivate your current License Key inside the plugin.
- Login to dehancer.com and go to License Management section of User Profile, find the License you wish to upgrade, then click ‘Upgrade License’ button.
- In the checkout page, select the product you intend to upgrade to. Here you can apply a promo code if you have one.
- Proceed to payment as usual.
- After the payment is accepted, you’ll get the e-mail with your new Activation Key, and the new License will appear in your User Profile. Old License will be revoked.
- Download and install your new plugin from Downloads & Buy section.
- Activate the plugin as usual with your new Activation Key.
8. PAYMENT ISSUES
8.1. If your payment didn’t succeed:
- Please check your account and card details and try again.
- Note that some banks apply their own rules and security restrictions to the international transactions. In this case please contact your bank to approve this payment and don’t miss the security call.
- If the problem persists, feel free to contact [email protected]
8.2. PayPal notes:
Business PayPal accounts are not supported. PayPal option is not available for Russian PayPal customers.
8.3. How to get the invoice?
Your ordinary receipt is sent automatically after the payment is accepted. If you need the Pro Forma Invoice, please let us know: [email protected]
9. TECHNICAL ISSUES
Please complete this checklist before requesting support:
- Make sure that you have the latest version of Dehancer plugin installed. Please visit the Downloads & Buy section and update if needed.
- Check your version of DaVinci Resolve. 16.2 is generally considered a stable release, where some bugs from previous versions have been fixed.
- If you have an Intel Iris GPU, artefacts may appear over the image, mostly when Halation FX is ON. This is a system bug. At the moment the only solution is an external GPU.
If you still encounter any bugs with Dehancer, send bugreport to [email protected]
Please provide the following information:
- Detailed error description.
- DaVinci and Dehancer versions.
- In DaVinci, go to Help menu and hit Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop. Then attach this log file to the e-mail.
- Also we need several .drx stills from your project along with a short fragment from the source video.
10. CAMERA PROFILES
While camera support is not essential for Dehancer, we made high quality profiles for several popular movie cameras and even drones. We’ll continue crafting new camera profiles soon.
Make sure that your camera is in the list: Dehancer film and camera profiles
If your camera isn’t natively supported by Dehancer, follow these recommendations:
- Try using camera factory LUT (usually found on camera manufacturer's website).
- Use conventional DaVinci Color Space Transform node.
- Within ACES pipeline use Input Color Space in Project settings, ACES Transform in Clip context menu or try Color Space Transform node.
- Experiments are welcome here – sometimes you may achieve good results with the profile of another camera model. Also it is possible to perform a complete grade within a single Dehancer node. In ACES use Blackmagic Design 4K Video Gen 3 ACES input profile as a starting point for manual grading.
11. PRINT FILM EMULATION (e.i. Kodak 2383)
Currently film profiles in Dehancer are optically printed on a photopaper. Pure negative scans are useless here, because the proper negative interpretation is possible with the printed media only.
However, we realise that analogue cinema production uses print films for final output, therefore we are working on Kodak 2383 Print Film sampling and implementation in Dehancer as an additional print media option.
Since Dehancer offers multiple positive film profiles, it’s reasonable to use this option for a kind of ‘printing process’:
1. Make the basic look with Dehancer (or by any other means) 2. Put a secondary Dehancer node after the main grading chain 3. In this node select, for example, Kodak Ektachrome E100 (2017) positive film profile and disable all other tools 4. Adjust Push/Pull to get properly exposed ‘print’ 5. Adjust Expand options to set desired black and white points 6. Use Color Head as ‘printer lights’ to correct print WB 7. You may even add some slight ‘printed’ Grain or Halation in this secondary node, if needed.
12. WHAT IS PUSH/PULL AND HOW IT WORKS?
Push/Pull is a creative tool that allows you to vary color-contrast look of each film.
All films behave differently depending on how much light they received during exposure. Therefore, each film profile in Dehancer in fact consists of 3 separate profiles.
Each profile is defined by its own sampling conditions:
- Normal exposure
- Underexposed –2 Ev
- Overexposed +2 Ev
In Dehancer Film exposure control is implemented with the Push/Pull (Ev) tool. This parameter allows one to set any exposure continuously between film states within -2 to +2 stops of exposure index (i.e. within 5 stops total).
Changes in the Push/Pull setting result in darker or lighter image, changing color and contrast – just like with real film. Film type defines the character of changes.
Please find more information in article What is Push/Pull and how it works?
13. HOW DOES THE ‘EXPAND’ WORK?
All films have different contrast, different black and white points. At the sampling stage, we avoid digital correction and normalisation as much as possible to carefully preserve all individual features of the films, which ensures a fair and convincing simulation.
That's why film profiles in Dehancer, without additional adjustment, usually look lacking in contrast, but at the same time they have some headroom in black and white points. While reduced contrast has its own analogue aesthetic, digital imaging standards suggest a more effective usage of output device contrast ratio.
Expand tool provides the separate manual control for black and white point to reveal the nature of a particular film and to compensate the source clip contrast and the output colour space requirements.
14. MORE DELICATE GRAIN
Sometimes even at the minimum Grain Size and Amount settings the grain appears too obvious for some applications.
There is a tip for subtler and softer grain:
- Move Shadows, Midtones and Highlights sliders to the left to get less grain.
- Use Film Resolution parameter to make it softer or sharper.
15. GATE WEAVE AND IMAGE SHARPNESS. AUTO ZOOM.
Gate Weave tool is based upon geometric transformations. It is well known that any image manipulation in terms of size, rotation and even translation leads to losing sharpness more or less. If you are experiencing excessive loss of detail with this tool and the Film Grain is ON, it is possible to compensate the effect increasing the Film Resolution parameter.
Auto Zoom is calculated automatically to fully compensate frame shifts brought in by current Gate Weave settings. You can enable or disable this option. Also it is possible to set the zoom level manually at your taste using clip Inspector / Transform / Zoom.
16. WHY DO SOME BLACK AND WHITE PROFILES CAN HAVE COLOR HUE?
Color targets for Dehancer profiles are printed from negative films in our own darkroom, and only after that we sample digital data from prints (the nature of analogue film-to-film printing process is basically the same).
Therefore, our profiles reflect all what is seen on the print, including the real paper tone.
Some targets, particularly B&W films (for example, legendary ‘Kodak Eastman Double-X 5222’) are printed on famous ‘Bromportrait’ paper by Slavich Ltd. This paper is known for its noble warm tone, with different hues of bronze color in shadows, mid-tones and highlights. It’s not easy to mimic this rich tone with digital correction, therefore we kept it in our B&W film profiles.
If you don’t like paper tone, you may use Saturation = 0 setting at any time.
17. TRANSPARENCY (CLIP ALPHA) AND NODE MASKS
At the moment Dehancer doesn’t support alpha channels (including titles) and node masks. Using the plugin with any transparent clips or with node masks may lead to unpredictable results.
For transparent titles and logos try this workaround:
- Create the compound clip containing your titles (or logo) and the solid fill generator underneath (as a background). If your titles are generally lighter than middle grey – use black fill, otherwise use the white fill.
- Apply Dehancer to this opaque compound clip as usual.
- Select the compound clip on the timeline. In the Clip Inspector change Composite mode to Add (for black background) or Multiply (for white background). Now clip background should appear transparent.
18. HOW TO UNINSTALL DEHANCER?
If you need to completely remove all Dehancer OFX plugins from your computer (while solving technical issues, for instance), follow these steps:
- Deactivate all your plugins (use ‘License Info’ button inside the plugin, then press ‘Deactivate’)
- Open Terminal.app and run these commands, one by one:
sudo rm -rf /Library/OFX/Plugins/DehancerFilm.ofx.bundle sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/com.dehancer.film sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Containers/com.blackmagic-design.DaVinciResolveAppStore/Data/Library/Application\ Support/com.dehancer.film sudo rm -rf /Library/OFX/Plugins/DehancerFilm_v4.ofx.bundle sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/com.dehancer.film.v4sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Containers/com.blackmagic-design.DaVinciResolveAppStore/Data/Library/Application\ Support/com.dehancer.film.v4
This is absolutely safe for your system.
Windows:1. Deactivate all your plugins (use ‘License Info’ button inside the plugin, then press ‘Deactivate’) 2. Use the regular Windows uninstall procedure: Go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features. Press and hold (or right-click) on the plugin you want to remove and select Uninstall or Uninstall/Change.
Attention! Using the built-in Windows Uninstaller for Dehancer versions up to 4.1 may lead to unexpected results. Use at own risk.
19. PREVIOUS VERSIONS OF DEHANCER PLUGIN DISTRIBUTIVES
Sometimes you may need to access old projects graded with previous versions of Dehancer. To make plugin settings compatible with an old project you have to install the exact version of Dehancer.
All Dehancer OFX plugin distributives are available here:
Select the one you need, install, enjoy!
20. FINAL CUT PRO FUTURE PLANS
Dehancer for Final Cut is on the way and probably will be released before the end of 2021.
21. DEHANCER DESKTOP APPLICATION
There was an obsolete application called ‘Dehancer Desktop pre-alpha’. It is no longer supported, nor available for download and beta testing anymore.
Currently we are working on a new desktop product for photographers. Please register on our site to get latest news and updates.